Originally a stonemason. Self-taught in violin-making. Worked in Berwick Street London 1856-85. Repaired for various dealers. Moved to Kentish Town Road 1885 and to Hackney 1887. Established in Dalston 1908. when he had the assistance of his son Edwin. Made a prolific number of violins usually catalogued at 4 to 10 pounds. Various models, and various shades of spirit and oil varnsihes. Awarded medal at the Invention Exhibition London 1885 60 pounds 1960.
Universal Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers: William Henley